Care & Handling Tips
To guarantee a long life for your blades and to have a safe, efficient and fun grating experience, we have put together some care and handling tips for your consideration.
GRATING WITH MINIMAL EFFORT
- Due to the sharpness of the blades, with no pressure and minimal effort, the food slides gently, quickly and easily from the blade without tearing or shredding or blocking to produce perfect results every time.
- There is no need to apply any pressure while grating, making the grating job easy and fun and minimizing the risk of getting hurt, by slipping off the blade when applying too much pressure.
HOW TO ZEST CITRUS FRUITS EASILY
- Take the citrus fruit in your hand. Turn the sharp blades/teeth towards the fruit and gently slide along the surface of the fruit while turning the fruit constantly. This method gives you control and helps to not grate into the white bitter pith.
- The grated food is then collected on the backside of the grater.
- To get the zest off the blades, simply tap the grater or use finger or a spoon to slide the grated food off.
- We also recommend using organic untreated citrus fruits when zesting.
CHEESE GRATING MADE EASY FOR KIDS
- Simply place the block of cheese on the working space, then turn the grater around, the sharp blades facing the food and away from you.
- Gently slide over the food with the blades. The grated food is then captured on the backside of the grater to allow for better metering.
- This method of grating ensures for instance that children do not come in contact with the sharp blades since the sharp blades are only facing towards the food and not the fingers.
- Each Microplane product is equipped with a protective cover. Always ensure to place the cover over the blades when not in use.
- Then when stored in a drawer or cabinet, the fingers are protected from the sharp blades when reaching for it.
- Having the cover over the blades, also ensures that the blades maintain sharpness over a longer period since it minimizes the contact with other tools.
FLEXIBLE AND SECURE USAGE
- Each of our hand-held paddle graters is equipped with non-slip rubber feet. This allows you to safely maintain the proper angle and stability whilst grating food on trays, in bowls and any different working surfaces.
- Better stability and comfort are guaranteed with the rubber foot.
CLEANING MADE EASY
- Straight after using the grater, tap off the food of the blades on a cutting board or any other working space.
- Then simply rinse under water and drip dry.
- This helps eliminating that food will dry onto the blade which will make it more difficult to clean later.
- All Microplane graters* are dishwasher safe.
- To ensure though that the blades stay sharp as long as possible, we do recommend washing them by hand.
- Please note that the protective covers that come with our products are not suitable for the dishwasher. Please always clean them by hand.
*Except our Master-Series that has walnut handles that need to be hand wash only (do not soak in water)